Thursday, July 7, 2011

A new project

I have been busily working on my new design, but decided that the old adage "all work, no play..." can apply to monogamous knitting.

My friend Susan (who is a fabulous knitter and my KalamazooKnits test knitter) has suggested that we do a Knit Along (KAL) and I think it will be the solution to my current "one project status".

So take a look at our two-person KAL.

Project: Bistro Lace Stole, Interweave Knits, Summer 2011
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb
Needles: US 8


As a youngster, I think I learned to crochet first.  Back in the 60's I did a lot of granny square projects, and this project reminds me of that.  The flowers in the Bistro lace stole are more sophisticated and are done by knitting - and I love the look.  Maybe this will be the start of a new direction for future designs??

Susan is using the yarn shown in the model- it is a lovely yarn with drape and a sheen. I dug into my stash, and am using some yarn that I bought at Stitches Midwest several years ago.

When I showed Susan the yarn I am using - she immediately remembered that purchase AND the project it was originally intended for. Not sure what that means, but I was impressed with her fiber/project memory.

The project calls for a three color combination, and my stash yarn had four colors. As I looked at it, I wasn't sure what I was thinking when I thought these four color ways would work together. I took it to knitting group this morning, and the group confirmed my fourth color didn't fit. Lucky I just need three colors, right?

So here is the yarn I am using.




Brooks Farm Yarn, Solo Silk, Dk weight yarn. It doesn't have the sheen that Lion & Lamb has, so I hope it stills works. The pattern calls for aran weight, so my first gauge swatch was using a size 7 needle. It looked good, but was a bit smaller than the pattern called for. Second swatch used a size 8 needle and it measures correctly.


I connected the two swatches as the pattern directed. TanMan and I were watching the third season of Californication on DVD, so I made a third flower motif while the show finished. A quick dunk in water, and the trio of flowers dried on the counter overnight.



Anyone want to join our fun?

No comments: