Monday, November 28, 2011

Up, Up and Away

We are headed back to Florida after an action-packed 10 days in Michigan. I think it will take me a few days to recover from the holidays!

I was able to spend time with most of my girlfriends, which is very important to me. Even though we text, email and phone while I am gone, it isn't the same as sitting down together for coffee, dinner, or even gambling! It always amazes me how time spent with friends can restore your soul. Thank you to all of my girlfriends - I am lucky to have you in my life - I feel very blessed.

Then there is the family - the real reason for being home for the holidays.

Our Thanksgiving at Ford Field in Detroit, watching the Packers/Lions game was a blast.





Two very happy Packer fans - oldest son and grandson Mason!

We had turkey leftovers at oldest step-daughter's house on the way home from the game and got to spend time with the 3 grandkids.

What a madhouse getting 4 of the 6 kids together - two are ages 5, 3 and 1.

We had our own Thanksgiving dinner on Sat night, with both of my sons and grandson. TanMan showed that he still knows how to cook a great meal.

On Black Friday I visited Your Local Yarn Shop , the new home of KalamazooKnits. Got to see what was new at the shop, talk with KellyJ about the new designs she is working on and spend some time catching up with my knitting mentor and good friend Susan!

YLYS knows how to rock a Black Friday - this year their grab bags were a huge hit - the bags were stuffed with patterns, yarn, gift cards, etc and the knitters were not disappointed with the value of their bags. I didn't buy any bags (something about my Dutch heritage that prevents me from spending $ when I don't know what I am buying), but Susan shared some of her yarn with me, so I felt the love anyway.

I did buy a couple of patterns there, Knitting Pure & Simple's Mukluks



and Fiber Trends's Children's Felted Clogs - thinking maybe they will be good Christmas gifts.

Speaking of knitting gifts, how are you coming on your list? I have 3 gifts completed, another one almost done and one more to go. Of course, I have a few others items I would like to knit, but not sure that will happen.

My Hip in Hemp skirt is getting in the way of the gift knitting. I am concerned that I don't have enough yarn, so I want to keep knitting to see if I have enough. It is kind of like when you are almost done with a project and the ball of yarn looks like you might run short, and you knit really fast, as if speed will compensate.

I am almost done knitting the latest KalamazooKnits pattern, designed by Kelly Jensen, called Just for Him.



It is a very cool hat pattern with a ribbed cuff and options for ear flaps. I actually finished the hat, but youngest son tried on the hat and I think I need to shorten the length a bit. I was working on it while TanMan was having a colonscopy & endoscopy, so I think I got carried away on the length, because it was nervous energy knitting. I just have to take an inch out and it will be perfect. More on the hat to follow.

And last, but not least, I want you, my faithful readers, to know how thankful I am for you! Many thanks to you all for following my knitting adventures! I wish you all a happy holiday season filled with great knitting!

No comments: