Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Favorite Things

Just because life is crazy, doesn't mean you can't enjoy some simple pleasures.

My new favorite things

1. Light Specs by Foster Grant
(If you are under the age of 45, you can ignore this one)
I got these bad boys at Walgreens, they were a BOGO, so I have one pair for reading in bed and another for my knitting bag.



They are reading glasses by day. Okay, not that stylish, but they come in all the usual strengths, and in black or tortoise frames.



But flip little switches on the inside of the frame, and you won't ever struggle with not having enough light to knit by.



TanMan loves them because I use them to read in bed. I love them best for sitting in the "oh so comfy" center of the sectional sofa, that doesn't have good lighting.

You want these!

2. The Kindle got better
I'm not talking about the new Kindle Fire, but a new way to use the original kindle. I've been reading from the Kindle for several years and love it. The negative feature has been you can't loan or borrow books.

Borrowing books just got easier, because you can now check out digital books from the library and read it on your Kindle.

I do it all on-line, using my library card number and the software Overdrive. You log into the digital service that your library is associated with, using your library card # (check your library's website for details). You browse the digital books available for the Kindle using Overdrive, make your selections and getting on the wait list. When you get the email telling you the book is available for checkout, you check it out on line, that takes you to your Kindle account for downloading. Hook up your Kindle to the computer and voila, the book is on your Kindle.

For me the only negative is that the checkout period is 14 days. After that, it is removed from the Kindle. Finish it, or get on the list to check it out again.

3. Vera Bradley
I am not a "girlie girl", but something happened to me when I started working at a pharmacy that sells Vera Bradley. I started buying some bags and fell in love.

I was out running errands the other day when I looked over at the passenger seat. This looks a bit over the top, doesn't it? Kind of like Vera threw up all over the seat.



4. Tropical critters
I've seen lots of pictures of snails, but I guess that I have never seen one in person. Honestly, this isn't one of my favorite things...



5. Taygete
I have taken a break from my hexipuffs, to try to finish one of my wip's.
I'm working on Chart C, so I am in the final stretch.



I am using Schaeffer's Anne from my stash, and I don't think that I have enough contrast between the two yarns. It's a nice pattern, but I think my poor yarn choice takes way from it. Time to get it done and see if I like it better once it is blocked.

6. Chex Mix Muddy Buddies
The bag is too small!



No comments: